This blog is simply about seeing California’s best and leaving the rest.
Welcome to SavvyCalifornia.com. I love exploring my home state. And I’m not alone — more than 70 percent of U.S. travelers who plan getaways in California are road trippin’ residents like me. We go to the mountains and the deserts, wine country and redwood forests, the big cities and the sleepy coastal towns.
California is a famously diverse state, with plenty of people, places and things represented. Still, the silly stereotypes just won’t quit (you know the ones). Some folks call this the “left coast” as a put-down, but the savvy among us consider it a term of endearment. The thing is, California clichés can be a little bit true. And if you ask me …
That’s where the fun is!
Let’s look at it with a little levity, shall we? I’m rockin’ the California coast, in a convertible, wearing cliché-colored sunglasses, for a lighthearted look at all things:
Hippie Dippy, Indie Groovy, Veggie Yogi, Local Foodie, Artsy Fartsy, Eco Snooty, Beach Bummy, Surfer Dudley, Tree Huggy, Celebrity Crushy, Culture Quirky, Fruity Nutty, Trail Trekky, Day Trippy, Wine Tipsy, Bucket Listy
Love California like I do?
Join me on a journey to map out the awesome, gnarly, hella fun, chill escapes — no hate — in the great Golden State.
PS. Layin’ on the lingo totally tongue in cheek, savvy? (Contact me)
About The Blogger
My greedy goal is to find the real stuff in life right outside our doors, to sleuth out the sweet spots, chat up experts, nail down the details, and share what’s great in the Golden State.
I live in a sleepy little beach town 25 miles south of San Francisco called Half Moon Bay, with my airline pilot husband Troy, and my office assistant Gracie (a total
terrorist terrier and terrific road tripper).
If you’ve followed me for a while, you know I started blogging in 2009 under then name “Bay Area On The Cheap” (during the financial crisis) and then founded sister site “Savvy SoCal.” Over time I rebranded to the more inclusive “Savvy Cities.” That was fun for a while, but I missed the local focus and felt scattered. So in 2016, I moved the California pages over here to SavvyCalifornia.com and put the rest on autopilot. Now I can once again express my west coast attitude, like the tagline says: Peace, Love & Levity on the Left Coast. Stay tuned and please tell your friends.
Writing Credits: As a freelance magazine writer for more than a decade, I specialize in destination travel and healthy living articles. When I’m not blogging about California, I’m writing for national and international publications. My articles have appeared in Outside, Travel + Leisure, Real Simple, American Profile, Consumer’s Digest, MSN.com, Hemispheres, Journey, Experience Life, Health, Natural Health, Shape, Prevention, Yoga Journal, You & Your Family, Fit Pregnancy, Natural Solutions, and a bunch of other magazines. I’ve also contributed to books published by HarperCollins, Rodale, Mobil Travel Guide, Forbes Travel Guide, and more.
Savvy Citizens Say it Best
Thanks a million for the kind words!
- While looking for things to do in San Francisco, I happened across Savvy California, and now I’m completely addicted. I can’t tell you how much fun I’ve had this summer going to all of the suggested festivals and museums on your site. Yes, there are other sites on the internet that offer “great things to do,” but they don’t even compare to yours. It’s user friendly to the max and I’m just so impressed (and grateful!) It has gotten me out of the house and into the fun of the city. You and your site are fantastic, so thank you. ~Renée K
- I came upon your site fairly recently and it’s been wonderful getting updates regularly. It’s so much fun digging through each section and just browsing around to see all of the possibilities out there in the City. Not only do you offer deals and offers to such a wide variety of things to do and see and shop….but I hear about things I would have never known about and for that I THANK YOU. ~Michelle
- Thank you so much for the Go San Francisco passes I won a while back. My husband and I took turns taking our son into the City for adventures the last three days of spring break and had such a blast! AT&T Park, MOMA, Zeum, Exploratorium, aquarium, bay cruise and on and on… even the wax museum was a hoot! Thx for the opportunity to win the passes and your awesome web site! ~Lara Starr, producer of Consumer Talk with Michael Finney on KGO Newstalk 810
- I’m a big fan of your website. Not only is it a mainstay in my daily readings, but over the last year it has truly shaped how I spend my time off, especially on weekends. Thanks for everything you do! ~Samik B
- You guys are amazing, always find something fun to do with help from the web site. Thanks for helping us get to know the city. ~Sarah
- Wow I really don’t know what I would do without you! You have definitely made my last year a he’ll of a lot more fun for me and my girl. Thank you!!! ~Graham
- Awesome website you guys got there because in this tough economy any help around town for things to do is great. Thanks. ~Michele J
- Hello & congratulations on your successful blog. I’m very grateful for all the info of local happenings on the cheap during these hard economic times. ~S. Andregg
- Thanks so much for giving us some fun things to do without breaking my bank account! My friend told me about your website yesterday after me and 7 others went to the DeYoung Museum yesterday! Yeah cheap fun outings! ~Jacquie L
- Thanks for keeping my girlfriend and I involved with events in the area. They’ve been fun and the last couple of months have saved me more than ever. Still need to watch Wicked though, but nevertheless, Happy anniversary! ~Samuel L
- I found your savvy site when looking for cheap tickets to see Cirque du Soleil. This site is great, listing all the options to save money. My husband and I are going at half price in March! Thank you, Savvy California! Thank you. ~Heidi
- I found your site a while ago and was really excited about all the possibilities of exploring new things in the area and look forward to years and years of many more treasures found there! Thank you! ~Varaxy Y
- Had the best time ever in California because of you. Feeling so savvy now 😉 ~Jonathan
- LOVE the website. With three kids, we need to do stuff on the cheap! ~Alyssa P.
- I just love giveaways and your website! As a frugal person new to the area, I’ve found so many amazing deals on here. I visit your site weekly to find even more great deals. ~Huong N
- I love this site. I just moved here and have been using it every day practically. Thank you! ~Lana N
- Thanks for all the great, cheap inside scoops around the city! ~Hannah
- I love the blog! Please keep it up for years to come! ~Erin
- I Love Savvy California. Great Idea. ~Linh TN
- Your website has given me great ideas for my frugal bf. ~Deanna L
- I love your website and have told all my friends about it too. Thanks! ~Anna L
- Thanks so much for your website, it’s so helpful for a student on a budget!! ~ Yvonne Chou
- Love your webpage. Great job of pulling the information from so many different sources! ~Sheila
- I’ve only been using your website for a short time but i’ve gotten so many ideas from it. Thanks! ~Winnie
- You guys are great!! 🙂 Thank you!! Keep up the good work! ~Natalia H
- Congratulations on a successful year of stellar bloggingness. Cheers to greater triumphs and further growth. ~Shannon
- You’re doing a wonderful job out there. You are helping so many people plan their weekends, family fun, can’t thank u enough. ~Sangeeta
- I love this website! Thanks for creating it! ~Ben N
- Thank you so much for sending us great emails about fun things to do for not a lot of money in the city. ~Amy
- Thank you so much for sending us such great information about things in my favorite cities! ~Anne C
- I also wanted to Thank You(!) for such a great service, its a wonderful help in these tough times. ~AJ
- Savvy California is the best! Keep up the good work. ~Sam T
- Thanks for the great tips on discounts in the city! Love it! Happy 1st Anniversary, and keep doing what you do! ~Regina F
- Congratulations on your 1st Anniversary of SavvyCities! You have created a very useful website! ~Doreen
- Happy Anniversary! I love your site, and visit it everyday! Thanks! ~Jennifer
- Love your website! It’s saved me lots of money 🙂 Thank you!! ~Adrianne G
- You rock! And thanks. Soooo many great things to do. so little time…. ~dave g
- I love seeing your email in my inbox. I wish you many many more. ~Melissa Vega
- Congrats on helping make the awesomeness that is the Bay area easier for us all to digest. ~GP
- I think your email alerts and web site are great. Hope you celebrate many more anniversaries. ~Chris C
- I recently discovered your site while browsing for deals and bargains on the internet. I love what you’re doing! Thank you. ~Lisa W
- I’m so glad I found your website. This is such a great resource for families around the metro area! Thanks! ~Siubhan
- Your site is awesome! I check it frequently to see how I can enjoy the Bay area on a tight budget. Keep it up! ~Patrick
- Thanks for the great site. Love your logo, too. ~Ed
- Thank you for all the great information on things to do in California, cheaply. ~Michael
- Love your twitter feed, I always look forward to doing new things in Los Angeles. If they are fun and cheap it’s all the better! Thanks, ~Mary
- I have been enjoying your website for about six month now and I look forward to many more great deals. Keep up the great work/ Thanks. ~Thayton
- Thank you so much for helping me save money on activities! As a college student, it’s hard to go out with $0 in your wallet. ~Todd LG (Stanford Class of 2010)
- My boyfriend and I moved to San Francisco last January and have used your email updates as a way to get to know the area and entertain ourselves on the cheap. Thanks and Happy Anniversary! ~Kathy D