SoCal may have bigger, glitzier theme parks, but if you enjoy the traditional vibe of an old boardwalk and amusement park, spend an afternoon at Belmont park. Scroll down for ride wristband & tour info.
Although Belmont Park has been updated and improved since opening in the 1920s, a few vintage attractions have survived, hinting at it’s roots and giving the place a touch of nostalgia. That’s what I love about this place. Saltwater taffy anyone?
The park’s Giant Dipper roller coaster is a fan favorite, and is one of west coast’s two original oceanfront roller coasters that are still operating. Belmont Park also features San Diego’s largest indoor heated swimming pool, called The Plunge. Catch the sheet waves in the wave pool generated by FlowRider and FlowBarrel technology.
Some other park favs include the Laser Maze, Sky Ropes, and Sky Climb, Chaos spinning ride, wave machine, children ride go-karts, indoor miniature golf, and arcade game classics like Pac-Man, Guitar Hero and skeeball. You can grab a snack at Belmont Park’s many boardwalk eateries, and shop for coastal kitsch at nearby shops.
WHY IT’S SAVVY: The park offers a more intimate setting than SoCal’s more well-known giant theme parks, with less walking required to see the entire park. Plus, admission and parking are free, so getting in is easy. Pay as you play or — even savvier — get ride wristbands in advance and save time and cash.
Deals are often available, and you can get ride wristbands online in advance to save time when you get there. Some of the deals were just updated, so check them out below.
Belmont Park Discounts
Sometimes Belmont Park runs coupons in the local papers. Also, they have an almost ongoing daily deal, which changes from discounted admission to mini golf (see link below) and if you’re planning on doing lots of rides, check out the unlimited wristband online deal.
- Unlimited Ride Wristband — Get it here. Print-At-Home and use Any Day (but note the expiration date). Getting ride tickets online in advance saves time.
- Mission Beach Tours — From bike tours to beach tours to general sightseeing in the area, check out this Mission Beach, San Diego Tours page for the best tours to book in advance (not always discounted but this source comes recommended by locals).
Know Before You Go
- Address — Belmont Park at Mission Beach, 3146 Mission Blvd, San Diego, CA 92109.
- Where to Park — You’ll find four free public parking lots available, but they fill up fast so get there early, especially on sunny weekends.
- Hours — Belmont Park is always open, but individual rides and attractions have different schedules. Most open at 11am.
- Nearby Hotels — Check out the best hotel deals and reviews on this TripAdvisor reviews and booking page. Savvy Tip: Browse the hotels near Mission Beach in San Diego.
- Airport Shuttle — Stuck at San Diego Airport for a few hours? You can take a 20-minute bus or shuttle directly to Belmont Park from the airport.
- ADA Accessible — View their Accessibility Guide PDF here.
- No-No’s — No smoking, and no pets except for guide and service dogs. Also no skateboarding, running, rollerblading, bicycling.