Travel guides always remind you to pack your sunscreen for your California vacation. But here in California, we don’t just grab any sunscreen off the shelf.
Savvy sun worshippers know that sunscreen doesn’t just have to protect us from UV rays. We want our skin products to be free of toxic chemicals that can affect health. So which ones are double safe?
A study of about 1,000 brand-name sunscreen products discovered that 4 out of 5 contain toxic chemicals that may pose health hazards or don’t adequately protect skin from the sun’s damaging rays — or both!
Some of the leading brands like Neutrogena, Coppertone, and Banana Boat ranked near the bottom of the safety list.
Don’t wait for the FDA to get around to setting updated sunscreen standards (currently 30 years old). While companies remain free to claim protections they can’t deliver, you are free to protect your health and your family’s health by avoid potentially toxic products.
5 Safe SUN PROTECTION RESOURCES
Here are five of the less toxic but effective sunscreens and sunblocks, available at your health food markets. These are the top 10 rated by the Environmental Working Group (EWG).
- Soleo Organics Sunscreen: Organic chemical free sunscreen SPF 30+
- 3rd Rock Sunblock Natural Organic Zinc Sunscreen/SPF 35+ / Unscented/Chemical Free Lotion with Moisturizer
- Badger Balm Kids Face Stick: 35 – Tangerine and Vanilla – 0.65 oz
- Aveeno Kids Continuous Protection: Sensitive Skin Zinc Oxide Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 50
- Raw Elements Face + Body Sunscreen Lotion: Non-Nano Zinc Oxide, 95% Organic, Water Resistant, Reef Safe, Non-GMO, Cruelty Free, SPF 30+, All Ages Safe, Moisturizing, Reusable Tin, 3oz
To find out which sunscreens rank the most safe and effective, check out the Environmental Working Group’s comprehensive sunscreen guide.