Are you game for one of California’s room escape experiences? When I first heard of escape room adventures, like the popular Trapped in a Room with a Zombie, I didn’t give them a second thought. But then people started buying tickets, raving about them, and going back for more. Young singles, older couples, families, all kinds of people are checking it out.
Inspired by escape the room video games, these immersive experiences are a new kind of interactive show you physically participate in with a team of about a dozen friends (or assigned strangers). Each escape room has a different themed adventure room where solve puzzles that let you escape the room before something scary happens. You have an hour to get out, or else. The games are physical versions of “escape the room” video games. Dozens of these adventure experiences are popping up every day. Some even have discount tickets available.
Escape room scenarios include to name a few: Trapped In A Room with a Zombie (follow clues and solve puzzles to find the key to escape before the hungry Zombie chained to the wall is loosed and tries to eat you); The Detective (trapped in a 1940s film noir, your group must solve a mystery to escape doom); The Alchemist (trapped in an ancient lab, your group must uncover the secrete to releasing the hidden power of the Philosopher’s Stone); The Cavern (to discover a lost civilization’s ancient treasure, you’ll descend into a mysterious creepy cavern where your team must find clues to plan your escape); The Theater (You’re trapped inside an old theater haunted by a ghost, and to escape your team must create a magical spell to free the spirit).
Trust me, no matter how weird it sounds, you’re going to want to know more about these strange and mysterious new adventure attractions, all in the spirit of fun. Check out the deals below and you will know for sure.
California Escape Room Discount Tickets
Know Before You Go
Friends who have been to one or more escape rooms in California share these tips for a savvier experience:
- Get there on time. The adventures take about an hour, but you’ll want to check in and be ready when the games begin.
- Keep moving. Clues are everywhere, you just need to touch, pull, turn, twist and open as many things as possible.
- Go with friends, family, or solo. An Escape Room experience can be fun for date night (maybe not a first date). But you can also sign up solo and they’ll assign you to a team. Some are great for families with teens. Kids under age 14 can also participate, as long as they’re accompanied by an adult. Others (like The Entrapment) are for adults only.
- Work with your team. The best strategy is to share clues and work as a team to find solutions.
- Don’t go near the creature. Depending on the storyline, you’ll want to watch where you step. Sure, the zombie is chained to a wall and all, but if he touches you, you’ll have to sit it out (you can still talk to your team to help find solutions).