A great way to keep pennies in your pocket is to pack a picnic lunch and head outdoors in wine country. You don’t need to spend lots of money in fancy restaurants to enjoy great food in a romantic Napa Valley setting.
The wineries with picnic spots are my favorite. Napa’s Clos Du Val gets my vote for most romantic, for its beautiful setting and color.
Most hippy-dippy (according to SFGate): St. Helena’s Casa Nuestra Winery & Vineyards, an old farmhouse, won the award of most hippie-dippy. This by-appointment-only for tastings, but you can throw a picnic blanket on the lawn whenever you want.
Napa Valley’s parks are also perfect for picnicking when you want to spend the day hiking or bicycling. For example, Bothe Napa Valley State Park has 2,000 acres of trails, with plenty of picnic spots. Bothe is right off Highway 29 and not far from downtown St. Helena.
Here are some California Wine Country places to pick up cheap gourmet picnic supplies, followed by recommended parks and wineries perfect for picnicking.
6 Napa Valley Markets to hit for Picnic Supplies
- Cal-Mart Deli – 1491 Lincoln Ave, Calistoga, CA 707- 942-9686
- Dean & DeLuca – 607 South St. Helena Highway, St. Helena, CA 707-967-9980 Ext 4120
- Oakville Grocery – 7856 St. Helena Highway (H29), Oakville, CA 707-944-8802
- Soda Canyon Store – 4006 Silverado Trail, Napa, CA 707-252-5445
- Sunshine Foods – 1115 Main St, St Helena 707-996-3411
- Model Bakery – Owbow Market – 644 First Street, Building B, Napa, CA 707-259-1169
13 Napa Valley Wineries with Picnic Spots
- Clos du Val – 5330 Silverado Trl, Napa, CA 707-259-2200
- Casa Nuestra Winery – 3451 Silverado Trail North, St. Helena, CA 866-844-5783
- V. Sattui Winery – 1111 White Ln, St Helena, CA 707-963-7774
- Clos Pegase – 1060 Dunaweal Lane, Calistoga, CA 707-942-4981
- Rutherford Hill – 200 Rutherford Hill Rd, Rutherford, CA 707-963-1871
- Cuvaision Estate Wines – 4550 North Silverado Trail, Calistoga CA 707-942-2468
- Diamond Oaks – 1595 Oakville Grade, Oakville, CA 707-948-3010
- St. Clement – 2867 St. Helena Highway North, St. Helena, CA 800-331-8266
- Louis Martini – 254 South St. Helena Highway, St. Helena, CA 94574
- Judd’s Hill – 2332 Silverado Trail, Napa 707-255-2332
- Reynolds Family Winery – 3266 Silverado Trail. Napa 707-258-2558
- Robert Sinskey – 6320 Silverado Trl, Napa, CA 707-944-9090
- Summers Estate Wines – 1171 Tubbs Lane, Calistoga, CA 707-942-5508
SAVVY TIP: Select from a big list of winery picnic spots on the Napa Valley Wineries website.
3 Napa Valley Parks Perfect for Picnics
- Bothe-Napa Valley State Park – 3801 Saint Helena Hwy, Calistoga, CA 707-942-4575
- Pioneer Park – 1308 Cedar St, Calistoga, CA 707-987-1155
- Bale Grist Mill State Historic Park – 3369 N St Helena Hwy (Hwy 29). St. Helena, CA 707-942-4575