The San Francisco Botanical Garden, in Golden Gate Park, is a 55-acre urban oasis of fresh color featuring more than 8,000 different kinds of plants from all around the planet. It’s my go-to getaway garden in the city.
Why is San Francisco such a great place for growing gardens? The climatic conditions are like nowhere else. The Bay Area’s mild temperatures, wet winters, dry summers, and coastal fog provide a welcome environment for plants, even transplants.
The San Francisco Botanical Garden is not only a great place to hang out, it also hosts plant sales when you can shop for native plants, many exclusive to the SF Botanical Garden’s Nursery. These sales offer amazing opportunities to buy plants you rarely find at commercial nurseries or garden centers.
The Plant Sales are free for San Francisco residents. Even though non-resident visitors now pay admission to enter the Botanical Garden, the admission fee is subtracted from the price of a plant purchase equal to or greater than the admission paid.
San Francisco Botanical Garden Savvy Savings
The Botanical Garden, offers free admission for San Francisco residents, but nonresidents have options, too. For example, free admission days take place the second Tuesdays of every month — for every visitor. Also, the Botanical Garden plans many fun family activities scheduled on certain days that are free with admission.
- FREE DAYS: San Francisco Botanical Garden — Free admission on the second Tuesday of every month and every day from 7:30-9am.
- FREE FOR RESIDENTS: The SF Botanical Garden is always free for San Francisco County residents.
Know Before You Go
- TICKET PRICES: FREE for all SF City & County Residents, Members & School Groups. Non-residents: $8 general, $6 youth 12-17 & seniors; $2 children 5-11; children 4 and under FREE; families of 2 adults and one or more child pay just $17.
- OPEN TIMES: Open 365 days a year including the major holidays Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s Day.
- ADDRESS: San Francisco Botanical Garden
1199 9th Ave, San Francisco, CA 94122
- LOCATION: San Francisco Botanical Garden — 1199 9th Ave, San Francisco, CA 94122. Golden Gate Park, with entrances at the corner of Ninth Ave at Lincoln Way (Main Gate) & at MLK Jr. Drive off the Music Concourse (Friend/North Gate).
- SAVVY TIP: See nearly 100 rare and historic magnolias into vibrant pink and white bloom at San Francisco Botanical Garden from mid-January into March.