What’s playing at SF Playhouse
Sometimes I want to go see a play in San Francisco. I want artsy-fartsy theater, less commercial, more experimental, with the spirit and guts you find way off Broadway. The stuff of SF Playhouse. (Skip down for discount ticket info.)
What I like best about SF Playhouse is the founders Bill English and Susi Damilano somehow manage to get a number of high-quality scripts every year, along with some top actors and directors. Theater critics like them, too.
“The combination of SF Playhouse’s small Off Off Off Broadway setup and sophisticated Off Broadway sensibility sets it apart,” according to a New York Times theater review. And Mercury News likes SF Playhouse for it’s chutzpah: “SF Playhouse stands out because Damilano and English know how to find the sweet spot between provocative and popular.”
San Francisco Playhouse has been a popular date night destination in the city for quite some time. But a few years ago the non-profit theater moved to an intimate location at the Kensington Park Hotel near Union Square. They reduced the seating to nine rows and converted the 400 seat theater to 199 seats. Now there are no bad seats. I like the new ambiance. And one of the best things is you can take advantage of some great ticket deals without worrying about obstructed views. Wanna go? Here are some tips and deals to make your night of theater a little savvier.
Know Before You Go
- Official Website: sfplayhouse.org — if you don’t fine what you’re looking for on the deals list above, you can find regular-priced tickets on the official ticket page.
- Address: San Francisco Playhouse, 450 Post St, San Francisco, CA 94102 (between Powell & Mason Streets).
- Getting There — San Francisco Playhouse is located in downtown San Francisco on the 2nd Floor in the Kensington Park Hotel at 450 Post Street (between Mason and Powell Streets) less than one block from Union Square in the heart of San Francisco’s theatre district.
- Where to Park — Convenient parking garages to look for include Prestige Parking (on Mason St., between Sutter and Post); Sutter Stockton Garage (444 Stockton Street); and Union Square Garage (333 Post Street).
- Restaurants Nearby — Farallon Restaurant (downstairs from SF Playhouse), an upscale seafood place with a raw bar, long wine list and ocean decor. Savvy tip: Tell them you’re seeing a show at SF Playhouse and they’ll give you six oysters on the half shell or one free dessert. Verify at 415-956-6969.
SF Playhouse Discount Tickets
You can get tickets directly from SF Playhouse, of course. But they often push out special deals via other sites. Here are the current offers available from savvy sources. These SF Playhouse deals often sell out, but they sometimes add another block of tickets shortly after, so check back often.
Other Ways to Save at SF Playhouse:
- Students, seniors, military, and teachers — Get discount tickets online at sfplayhouse.org, in person, or by phone.
- Rush Tickets — Rush $25 (cash only) tickets may be available at the box office for students and seniors starting 30 minutes before showtime.
- Group Discount — Groups of 10 or more can usually get 25% off in advance. Contact SF Playhouse for availability. Student/senior groups can get extra $5 off per ticket. For info: firstname.lastname@example.org or 415.677.9596.