The San Francisco Zoo sometimes offer ways to save, including a coupon for a free child ticket with one paid adult. And they also have a few free days for San Francisco locals coming up. Children under 3 years old always get in free. The Zoo also provides discounts for active military and the disabled. You’ll always find something new going on at the SF Zoo.
A favorite time to take kids is in the morning or late afternoon to watch the animal feedings. As Northern California’s largest zoological park and conservation center, the six-acre San Francisco Zoo features 245 different animal species in naturalistic settings.
Recent additions include a three-acre African Savanna (giraffe, zebra, ostrich), Koala Crossing, Gorilla Preserve, Lemur Forest, Penguin Island and the Australian WalkAbout. You can ride on the historic Little Puffer steam train and the beautifully restored Dentzel Carousel.
San Francisco Zoo Discounts & Freebies
SF ZOO TICKETS: Get Tickets for $20 online before you go and save time. San Francisco Zoo doesn’t like to offer many discounts, but you can still find a few ways to save.
- Resident Free Days: The San Francisco Zoo offers SF residents free admission on certain days of the year. Proof of San Francisco residency is required (show a valid driver’s license, a valid identification card or a utility bill with your name and address, along with a valid photo ID). See schedule of upcoming free days.
- MUNI Discount: Take the MUNI bus line and you can get a $1 discount at the gate. Show your Muni receipt.
- AAA Discount: If you’re a AAA member, you may be able to get a deal. Check with your AAA office first before you head out.
- Military discount: Active military and the disabled can receive a small discount at the gate, usually it’s the same as the SF locals rate..
- SF Zoo Coupon: The San Francisco Zoo coupon is gone, for now. I’ll post the next SF Zoo coupon here when they make it available.
- Savvy Freebie: On Mother’s Day, SF Zoo often gives mom’s free admission when she brings a child. Check with the San Francisco Zoo on this one before you head out.
Know Before You Go
- Nearby Hotels: Staying over? Check out this page of current deals for San Francisco Hotels, B&Bs and rentals plus “real people” reviews. (Savvy Tip: SF Zoo is in San Francisco’s Sunset District).
- Hours: SF Zoo is open from 11am to 4pm daily. Extended weekend and special summer hours are 10:30am to 4:30pm. (But check with the Zoo before you go.)
- Address: San Francisco Zoo, 1 Zoo Road, San Francisco, CA 94132.
- Parking: You can sometimes find free parking on the street along Sloat Boulevard. Or you can park in the Zoo lot (last checked, prices were weekdays $8, weekends and holidays $10). The parking lot has two entrances, one off of the Great Highway for people driving from the East Bay or South Bay, and the other off of Sloat Boulevard at 47th Avenue if you’re coming from the North Bay. There is only one exit from the parking lot – putting everyone northbound on the Great Highway. To exit, purchase a parking pass at the ticket counter at the Main Gate prior to leaving the Zoo.
- Official Info: See the San Francisco Zoo’s official website sfzoo.org.