Costa Mesa, California, where I lived for a couple of years, is known for its world-class performing arts complex Segerstrom Center for the Arts. Not only are the the performances among the best in the US, the setting is sensational. I’d go for just the architecture and the grounds. If you’re in Orange County and want to go, here’s my review, tips and roundup of special ticket offers.
The first thing you’ll notice is the place is huge, all the better to showcase every type of performing arts, including Tony-Award-Winning Broadway productions, every type of concert, opera, dance, and film. Segerstrom Hall is a 3,000-seat opera house. Renée and Henry Segerstrom Concert Hall, is a 2,000-person live music venue. Other buildings include the Samueli Theater, Judy Morr Theater, Education Center, and a 46,000-square-foot outdoor Arts Plaza. The center is the home of the American Ballet Theatre, Pacific Symphony, the Philharmonic Society of Orange County, and Pacific Chorale.
Two notable objects worth a look are the Arts Plaza’s modern sculpture by Richard Serra, and the William J. Gillespie Concert Organ, featuring nearly 30 tons of keyboard and 4,322 pipes, at The Renée and Henry Segerstrom Concert Hall.
Free at Segerstrom
Along with the discount tickets listed below, you’ll find a few freebies available directly from Segerstrom Center for the Arts.
- Free Performances — The Arts Plaza sometimes offers free concerts, dance performances, and films throughout the year.
- Free Pre-Shows — Many ticketed performances feature free pre-show activities an hour before show-time.
- Free Docent-led Tours — You can take a free guided tour of Segerstrom Center’s elegant lobbies, the grand stage, and areas rarely seen by the general public. (Reservations required.)
Segerstrom makes some discount tickets available via certain approved ticket partners for as much as half off (curated for savvy readers on my affiliate site SavvyTix). Here’s whats available now.
Know Before You Go
- Official Website: Segerstrom Center for the Arts — scfta.org. You’ll find ticket info at the top.
- Tickets: Other than possible discount tickets mentioned here, the best way to get tickets is at the main box office (located next to the plaza level entrance of Segerstrom Hall in the circular drive). You can also get tickets on their website for a 10% service fee.
- Address: Segerstrom Center for the Arts — 600 Town Center Dr, Costa Mesa, CA 92626.
- Getting There: Segerstrom Center for the Arts is located in the heart of the Orange County Theatre District, just East of South Coast Plaza. Segerstrom Center can be easily reached from either the 405 or the 55 Freeways, with signage directing you to the Center.
- Where to Park: Limited street parking is available. Or for Segerstrom Hall and Judy Morr Theater try the adjacent Center Tower Parking Structure on Sunflower Ave. For performances at Renée and Henry Segerstrom Concert Hall and Samueli Theater, the closest parking is at the Plaza Tower Parking Structure across Park Center Drive (directly behind the concert hall). Both are cash only, around $10.
- Free Tours: RSVP for tours to Tours@SCFTA.org or 714.556-2122 extension 4365.
- Dining: This venue is within walking distance of many restaurants, including a couple of steak houses at South Coast Plaza. Or try Leatherby’s Café Rouge, located inside Segerstrom Concert Hall. Valet parking is available in front of the restaurant. For reservations call 714-429-7640. Inside Segerstrom Hall you’ll find The Firebird Cafe serving light snacks and sandwiches. Renée and Henry Segerstrom Concert Hall and Samueli Theater serve light snacks in their bars.
- Full-Service Bars: No problem. You’ll find full-service bars inside Segerstrom Hall, Renée and Henry Segerstrom Concert Hall, Judy Morr Theater, and Samueli Theater.
Segerstrom Discount Tickets
Discount Tickets $61 – $644 (full price is $76 – $804)
WHAT: Mozart, World Music & More: 3-Concert Mini-Series.
Discount Tickets $29 – $69 (full price is $29 – $69)
WHAT: Hit Broadway Musical School of Rock.
Discount Tickets $29 – $49 (full price is $29 – $49)
WHAT: On Your Feet! The Emilio & Gloria Estefan Broadway Musical.
NOTE: If you don’t see a link immediately above, check back later as new special offer tickets are added.
More Ways to Save
- Rush Tickets — Full-time students and seniors can sometimes get special discounts at the center box office an hour before certain performances. More info: (714 ) 556- 2787.
- Group Discounts — Groups of 10+ can sometimes get discounted tickets up to 20% off in advance for certain performances.