See what’s new, get discounts, get tech
Silicon Valley is all about tech, or so they say. That can be amazing or annoying, depending on who you ask. But the one thing most of us agree on is the Tech. It’s awesome. The Tech Museum of Innovation, in downtown San Jose, highlights all things innovation, of course, featuring more than 240 science and technology exhibits and galleries.
It’s a hands-on experience of interest to people of all ages and backgrounds. The museum — located in the capital of Silicon Valley — is a non-profit learning resource established to “inspire the innovator in everyone.” Could that be you?
The Tech has galleries on two levels, with interactive exhibits about space exploration, biotechnology, clean energy, genetics and the science of sounds. Popular new exhibits include Cyber Detectives, and Body Metrics.
The huge IMAX Dome Theater has movies daily from companies like National Geographic. The museum also has a recurring evening series called Creative Collisions that cultivates and connects Sf Bay Area innovators with ideas. Previous events featured wearable tech, 3D printing and the idea of space and art.
WHAT’S NEW: In 2016, new four-year program was launched with The Sharks Foundation and SAP that will give low-income students and the community access to sports-themed science, technology, engineering and math. They’ll present design challenge activities and host community events highlighting athletics and STEM. Sharks players are expected to be on hand for the field trips.
Tech Museum: 6 Ways to Save
You have several ways to save on tickets, and no coupon or promo code is needed for any of these offers. The Tech Museum also offers free general admission on certain days. Here’s a roundup of options for your next visit.
- Free Days: Tech Museum Free Days — BofA and Merrill Lynch Cardholders get FREE general admission for one on the first full weekend of every month, as part of the Bank of America “Museums On Us” promo. (Special exhibits are extra.)
- Last Hour Discount: Get there less than an hour before closing and they’ll give you a small break on general museum tickets (not sure how much so if you go, let us know). This does not apply to IMAX movies or traveling exhibitions.
- Parking Discount: You can get your parking ticket validated by the museum for discounted parking at the Second and San Carlos Street Garage, and at the Convention Center garage. Some public downtown parking lots are free on weekends before 6pm.
- AAA Member Discount: With your AAA membership you can save $3/adults or $2/ kids/students/seniors (ages 3-17 and 65+) on a combination ticket with educational IMAX film. Discount does not apply to a general museum ticket without IMAX or with a featured film IMAX combo. Show your card at the box office.
- Military Discount: The Tech Museum of Innovation offers a $3 discount ($2 off child/student/senior tickets) to active duty and veteran US Military and families — 1 free combo ticket (one general museum admission with one educational IMAX film). Show your active military ID or veteran ID at the ticket counter to redeem this discount.
- Library Pass: The Tech Museum, in collaboration with the Public Libraries systems, offers discounted admission for library cardholders — $3 off an adult combo ticket (one general museum admission + educational IMAX film), or $2 off child/student/senior combo tickets for up to six people (not valid for a general museum ticket without educational IMAX film). Ask you library about getting this pass, or go to discoverandgo.org for more online information.
Know Before You Go
- Official Info: Find out more on the Tech Museum’s website thetech.org.
- Hours: Museum operating hours are 10am – 5pm, Mon-Sun. Open holiday Mondays. Closed: 4 days in September, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.
- Location: The Tech Museum of Innovation, 201 South Market Street, San Jose CA 95113. The museum is located in downtown San Jose, CA at the corner of Park Avenue and Market Street, near Interstate 280 and Highway 87.