Universal Studios Discount Tickets Roundup & Review
When people come to Southern California, they typically want to know about the stars — where are they, how can we see them out and about. Whether you’re visiting or live in Los Angeles, sometimes it’s fun to play tourist in the heart of Hollywood. While it isn’t all that easy to rub shoulders with Hollywood celebrities on a moment’s notice. there is an attraction for that: Universal Studios Hollywood, the film studio and theme park in Los Angeles, one of the most visited attractions in the SoCal area.
Skip down to save on tickets and find hotels near Universal Studios
Grab some cheap sunglasses and head to the new movie sets at
Universal Studios Hollywood
At Universal Studios Hollywood, you can see how and where your favorite movie and TV stars work, how movies are made, all the behind the scenes stuff that goes into Hollywood blockbusters. The original idea for Universal Studios Hollywood was to provide tours so people could experience the real Universal Studios movie sets. You can go behind the scenes by taking the studio tour.
Along with the movie tours, we liked the shows and especially the movie-themed rides and attractions, especially the Transformers Ride-3D. and the Waterworld ride.
Tips for Visiting Universal’s Wizarding Word of Harry Potter
My favorite attraction at Universal Hollywood is the new Wizarding World of Harry Potter. If you haven’t been to Universal, it may be time for a second look. Here’s what you need to know to go the savvy way.
- Go to to Hogwarts Castle First. For the Forbidden Journey dark ride, of course. Get there really early if you can for the shortest possible line. As the train conductor invites you into this magical world, and the snow-capped set and Scottish shops beckon, stay focused and walk directly to Hogwarts’ Forbidden Journey (plenty of time to shop and browse later). This place is a huge movie set, from script to screen, so enjoy the sights as you stand in line. You are in Hogwarts, so don’t forget to look around. Everything — from lamp posts to door knobs to rooftops — is part of the experience.
- Put on the 3D Quidditch Goggles and Go. There’s a reason the Forbidden Journey ride won the Golden Ticket award for Best Dark Ride not once but five years in a row.) Don’t eat first. Be very afraid.
- Rinse and Repeat. Traveling sans tots? Head to the shorter”singles” line and go again. If you have kids that can’t go it along, you’ll have to use the longer main line.
- Skip the Flight of the Hippogriff Coaster and Ollivanders’ Wand Show. Just my opinion maybe, but the family rollercoaster is kind of a snooze, and the wand show is a long let down (much quicker to just pick out your own wand at the shop). Your littlest wizards might disagree with me. Your choice, of course.
- Head over to Hogsmeade Village. The gift shops and Harry Potter-themed souvenirs in this part of the park are really fun. Candy, cool games, and magical mementos are even better with a butterbeer. The detail in this place is delightful, so don’t forget to have a good look around. Then consider stopping for a propper British lunch at the Three Broomsticks.
Here’s an updated roundup of ticket deals. Universal Studios discount tickets that not only help you save on each daily ticket, but can get Front-of-Line access at each ride and attraction, and priority seating at each show, now, during peak season, depending on which offer you choose.
Universal Studios Discount Tickets Roundup
The front-of-the-line deals are a savvy choice for peak days at the park because you get priority access to all rides and reserved seating for all shows. And you won’t need a coupon or promo code for any of these discounts. NOTE: The prices below were accurate when I posted them and may change without notice. (I’ll try to keep them up to date.)
Universal Studios Hollywood Discount Tickets (plus Go Straight to the Gate):
Updated 7/28/18 — Follow the links below for dates and prices directly from the discount ticket source.
- 1-Day General Admission Family Pack — SAVE $20 (Any Day Ticket)
- Universal Express (off-peak days) — SAVE $24 (Any Day Ticket)
- Universal Express (peak day ticket) — Save $17.86 (pick your day 24 hours in advance)
- 1-Day General Admission — Save up to $20 (Any Day Ticket)
- 2-Day General Admission — Save up to $14 (Any Day Ticket)
- VIP Experience — Save $15
Universal Studios Hollywood Package Deals
- Disneyland Resort Park Hopper & Universal Studios Hollywood Combo — View Package
- Disneyland Resort Park Per Day & Universal Studios Hollywood — View Package
- Universal Studios Hollywood & Warner Bros. Studio Tour Combo Deal — View Package
- Universal Studios Hollywood Vacation Package — Bundle with choice of hotel — View Package
Southern California Combo Attraction Pass
- Go Los Angeles Card 15% to 55% Off: Better than they used to be, this Go LA discount card now has a “build your own” feature that lets you choose as few as two attractions or as many as you want — the more you choose the more you save. You can also print at home or show the card on your smart phone. (Now my favorite way to save in SoCal). FYI, along with Universal Studios Hollywood, popular savings with this card can include Six Flags Magic Mountain, Knott’s Berry Farm, and LEGOLAND.
Other Ways to Save
- Student Discount — California college students, faculty, and staff at many California can get a discount on Universal Hollywood tickets and annual passes. Check with your college or university for instructions on how to redeem the deal since they all have different rules.
- Military Discount — Active and retired US Military, DOD personnel, National Guard, Reservists and their dependents can get $3 off general admission Universal Hollywood tickets at the gates, with ID. Even better, get tickets in advance from MWR/ITT offices for a higher percent off.
- AAA Discount — American Automobile Association and the Canadian Automobile Association members can get $3 off at the gate. Or check for the occasional off-season online discounts on the AAA.com website. Once you’re at Universal Studios, showing your AAA membership card may get you a 10% discount on food and beverages at many park and CityWalk locations.
- Costco Discount — SoCal Costco stores sometimes have discounted Universal Hollywood tickets. They don’t always have them, but when they do they are good deals. from time to time. If you order them on the Costco website, you’ll pay a shipping charge, plus an extra 5% if you’re not a Costco member.
Hotels Near Universal Studios California
- Vacation Packages: Choose from 57 available hotels and get Universal Studios Hollywood 1-Day General Admission Universal Express (Including 1-Day General Admission Off-Peak pricing) plus go straight to the gate (no ticket lines).
Know Before You Go
- Ticket Deals — See my Universal Studios discount tickets review (above) for the best available Universal Studios special offers and coupon codes.
- Hotels — I found the lowest rate here for nearby hotels when we went, but check your favorite booking engine.
- Address — Universal Studios Hollywood, 100 Universal City Plaza, Universal City, CA 91608.
- Parking — Prices on site, last checked, are General Parking $18, Preferred Parking $25, Front Gate Parking $35. After 5pm General Parking $10, Preferred $20, Front Gate $30.
- Official Info — For attraction details see universalstudioshollywood.com (for the best deals, see offer websites above).
Photo credit: Prayitno/Flickr Universal Studios